English House takes their name from the late Monsignor John English who had a significant impact on the College during the early years at Albion. The l ibrary at Albion was named in his honour and this tradition carried over to the current Caboolture site. Monsignor English was born on 24 June 1897 in Tipperary, Ireland and immigrated to Australia in April 1925. It was during his time as parish priest of St Agatha's at Clayfield that he became closely associated with St Columban's.
Monsignor English frequently visited the College at Albion to run retreats, speak at major functions, provide advice, and donate funds. He generously contributed least $60,000 to the College over five years from 1963 and left a substantial section of his estate to the College upon his death in 1969. He was recognised throughout Australia as a skilled preacher, lecturer, scholar, educator, and conversationalist and was in high demand as a speaker at Catholic functions and throughout the Diocese. The Catholic leader described him as “one of the most distinguished, respected and affectionately regarded priests in Australia, and an eminent member of a group of Irish-born clergy who have laboured outstandingly and rewardingly in the Australian church".
English House is very proud to partner with Young Care who are a national not-for-profit, revolutionising the way young people with high care disability live – with freedom, dignity and choice. We are passionate about supporting Young Care as they drive change for young people whit high physical support needs and create a more inclusive Australia. Our buy a brick campaign has been very successful in raising funds and awareness of the work of Young Care in our local community and throughout Australia.